A great way to improve your health is to increase the amount of different probiotic foods in your diet. Making your own fermented hot sauce is one way to do that. Store bought hot sauces are pasteurized, meaning heated to high temperatures. By doing this they kill harmful bacteria strains but they also kill the good bacteria.
To make the fermented hot sauce you will need : hot peppers, a glass mason jar, white vinegar, kosher salt, garlic, blender or food processor.
- Trim peppers of their stems and rinse so the peppers are clean
- Put them in a mason jar
- Peel a few garlic cloves and place them in mason jar
- Make a 2% salt solution (I used a scale and measured 20 grams kosher salt in 1000 grams water)
- Pour water over peppers and garlic
- Important: Place something on top of peppers and garlic to keep them submerged under solution
- Cover top with a towel or airlock (if you have one) and place jar in a cool dark place
- Wait about 2 weeks
- Water in jar will look somewhat cloudy and bubbly
- Remove peppers and garlic from water and put in a blender
- Blend with some of the liquid from the jar and some white vinegar to taste
- Put in refrigerator and enjoy